Prelude : Markha Valley Trek

I've been day dreaming about this week for almost 2 months now. Ever since I booked my to-and-fro flights to Leh.

I am going to Ladakh for the Markha valley trek from 25th September to 5th October. 

The earlier plan was to take a flight from Delhi to Srinagar and a bus from Srinagar to Leh.
However, it seemingly turned out to be a very inefficient idea.
I would have spent a lot and still traveled for close to 2 days each side.

I have been preparing for this trek since the last month and a half.

Physical Prep

The sessions in gym have been focused on building core strength, cardiovascular endurance more than just piling on muscles.
There have been hurdles. Moments when I didn't feel like getting up from the bed, let alone going to the gym and push myself.

But the end result is satisfactory, I can notice I get less tired after doing the same amount of cardio exercises. That's one way of quantifying progress. Now I just hope it translates into results while I'm out on the trail.

Equipment Prep

I have also equipped myself with better winter wear. New additions being :

1. Thermal Base layer - Bought from decathlon
2. Down jacket - Quechua Arpenaz 100
3. Fleece jacket - Quechua Fleece with zip

This will help me reduce backpack weight considerably.
Also, the earlier layers (Cotton jacket, Sweater and Cottswool thermal) took a lot of space.

I will also be carrying my own camping set.

1. Tent - 2.4 Kgs
2. Sleeping Bag - 2 Kgs
3. Mat - 0.5 Kgs

Total backpack weight without food, water, tent and mat is 10.80 Kgs
Adding in all these things would shoot up the weight to a staggering 19 Kgs (2L water, 1.5 kgs food)

Other than the cameras, journal and slippers, there is nothing else that I think is not excess to the basic requirements of survival.

Mental Prep

There has been a lot of doubts in the initial phase of planning.

  • Carrying camping set 

This is primarily a personal mission. This trek does not require tents to be carried as there are numerous home stays throughout the trail.
In fact, from what the internet tells me, this is one of the rare tea-house treks in India.
When I look at the 19Kgs backpack, I still wonder if its doable for me but again..

"If I never try, I'll never know"

  • Deciding the route

I am taking the longer route from Spituk.

Route being :

Leh -> Spituk -> Zingchen -> Ganda La Base -> Skiu -> Markha -> Thochuntse -> Nimaling -> Shang Sumdo -> Leh

There is however a shorter route from Chilling which bypasses the Ganda La Pass.
I chose this trek because I would get to cross two high altitude passes.

Ganda La and Kongmaru La.


Both are 5000m+

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that sums up my preparation. No matter how much you plan, you can never be sure if its enough or if its overkill.
You can read all the resources from the internet you want but all that's usually from a personal point of view. Resources should be taken as guidelines and not absolute instructions.

I would be writing journals on a daily basis. I would be capturing footage from my goPro camera too.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Markha Valley trek - long circuit

Chadar Trek

A solo escapade to Kedartal